Running for Office
We need individuals who care about representative government and are willing to work to collectively solve problems that otherwise would not be tackled. If you think you might be interested, there are people within our local party who would be glad to help you understand what is involved. At the statewide level, you may run for State Senate or the House of Delegates. You also can choose to run for School Board, Board of Supervisors, Sheriff or County Treasurer.
If you decide to run for office, you must declare. Each District has a similar nominating procedure. Contact your Democratic chairperson to get details.
You’ll learn a lot from the following list of links but we also have thrown together some methods you might consider. To visit the page click on this link.
- Run for Something will recruit and support talented, passionate youngsters who will advocate for progressive values now and for the next 30 years, with the ultimate goal of building a progressive bench.
- Activate Virginia was constituted to address an undemocratic status quo. We believe we’re operating in politically exceptional times, and we’re committed to realizing our potentials as citizens.
- Candidate Boot Camp is a team of experienced campaign professionals with a goal to democratize democracy by lowering the barriers to running for political office. We offer online candidate training and free resources to people who want to serve their fellow citizens but don’t have the budget to hire professional campaign consultants and staff.
- Wellstone was founded to carry forward the work of Paul and Sheila Wellstone, we arm progressives with the strategies and skills to win. We develop political leaders. We strengthen movement organizations. We ignite change.
- Emerge America is the premier training program for Democratic women.
We inspire women to run, we hone their skills to win. Our goal is clear: to increase the number of Democratic women in public office.
- Slate”s Guide to Resources for Running for Office Lists of links to books, organizations and companies that can provide resources for running for office.