Office Volunteers Stepping Up!
A huge thank you to all the volunteers who are manning the office at Headquarters and keeping the doors open. The first week had a few bumps, but we seem to be settling into a schedule at this point. Responsibilities for those in Headquarters include: opening Headquarters, hanging out the open sign, turning on lights. We have for sale: yard signs ($1-2 donation accepted), bumper stickers ($2) and donations ($5) on a chance for a print of President Obama donated Sara Braaten and Bruce Johannessen.
Committee Doubles in Size in 2017
Congratulation to the Committee for doubling in size this year. This is phenomenal growth for a small town Democratic Committee. Now comes the challenge of turning that growth into an organization that functions well. The work cannot continue to be done by a handful of individuals in the Committee. The work must be shared by all! Without participation by all Committee members the burden falls too heavily on the shoulders of a very few. There is no room for passivity; everyone needs to find a task to help us meet our goal of electing Democrats.
Volunteer opportunities abound for YOU!
WE NEED YOU – SO WE SUCCEED!!
Two members of our Steering Committee are traveling this September and extra help is needed to get tasks done. Also an organized Committee gets more work done! Let’s step up our game if we want to win elections!
1. NEEDED Office Staff Coordinator: This person would make sure that our volunteer office staff are notified of their 2 hour shifts one day in advance. If volunteers do not show up the Coordinator will make efforts to contact people on our sub list to come in on short notice. If any of our regular volunteers will be traveling and notify the Coordinator in advance efforts will be made to find a substitute. Ideally this person would live in Bedford and could go to Headquarters on short notice to help with letting a volunteer in, or handling a crisis or delivery.
2. NEEDED Cleaning Crew: Weekly clean up of floors and bathrooms at Headquarters. Trash will be bagged and removed. Recycling will be bagged and removed.
3. NEEDED Hospitality Committee: Help provide food and drink for our volunteers in the Headquarters during the campaign cycle, at meetings, special gatherings and at Fundraisers.
4. NEEDED Volunteers Coordinator: With Centerfest just weeks away it is more important than ever that we have someone to help us line up the volunteers to work throughout the day. This person would need to have some people skills and be comfortable on the phone and with email communications!
5. NEEDED Fundraising Committee: Fundraising now falls primarily on the shoulders of the Vice Chair and it is a huge responsibility. Several fundraisers are necessary for us to meet our goals of opening a headquarters every year, purchasing yard signs, larger yard signs and billboards, as well as participating in community events like Centerfest. Hosting educational events for high school seniors and presenting a united front on Election Day at every precinct are also events which generate expenses.
6. NEEDED Precinct Coordinator: This person will help us develop precinct captains for all of our 30+ precincts in Bedford County. On Election Day this person will strive to have volunteer coverage at all of our precincts to hand out sample ballots, encourage voting, and observe for any irregularities outside of polling stations.
Potluck and Phone Banking with Natalie Short
Join us at Headquarters on Thursday, September 14 at 5:00 p.m. Bring a dish to share, get to know your fellow Dems and let’s get busy phoning on behalf of our candidates, including Natalie Short, who is running in the HOD District 23. We will be phone banking from 6:00-8:00 p.m. Breaking bread and having fun! Please join us and if you have a cell phone, charge it up! Let’s rock this election!
Centerfest Saturday, September 23, 10 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
The Dems will open our Headquarters for Centerfest and have a tent on the sidewalk outside as well.
We’ll be passing out campaign literature, stickers, selling yard signs and making the public welcome. Please plan on helping us man the tent and Headquarters from 10. a.m. until 6:00 p.m.
Grand Opening Reminder
Friday, September 8 from 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Please remember our Grand Opening is this Friday, September from 7:00 -9:00 p.m. Punch and Cookies will be served. See you then! Thank you all for reading the entire newsletter!